Be confident that whom ever is watching your baby is the safest person other than you. Don’t assume that everyone close to you is as committed to your child’s safety as you are. Recent statistics of child abuse are frightening, therefore choosing a safe caregiver is one of the most important things you can do for your baby. In today’s world you can never be too careful when it comes to your child’s safety. There are too many cases of children hurt by caregivers and live-in partners. In 2007 there were an estimated 794,000 children determined to be victims of child abuse and neglect. Shockingly an estimated 1,760 children die every year due to child abuse and neglect and more than three-quarters of those who die were younger than 4 years old. The job of choosing a safe caregiver is not one to be taken lightly because you trust this person with the life of your child.
1. It is recommended that caregivers have first aid training and know infant/child CPR.
2. Look for a caregiver who is a good communicator.
3. Be sure that a caregiver is aware of Shaken Baby Syndrome
4. Leave your baby with a caregiver who is only watching your baby.
5. Demonstrate simple soothing techniques that work best for your baby.
6. Be sure that a caregiver is aware of safe sleep practices.
7. Drop by and spy.
8. Trust your gut.
9. Be open to change.
10. Use a referral agency if possible, or ask friends, co-workers and relatives for referrals to qualified caregivers.
For more information on other important topics regarding your children, check back often to our babykuu.com blog.